A total of nine NPS schemes have made the shortlist for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ (RICS) Social Impact Awards 2020.
Among the contenders are projects from our offices in Barnsley, Leeds and London, celebrating their role in transforming communities and the everyday lives of people.
Shortlisted schemes from NPS include:
- social housing at Baden Street, Barnsley – replacing 12 derelict terraced houses with eight new 2 and 3 bedroom town houses
- social housing at Keresfoth Close, Barnsley – consisting of a number of existing, vacant NHS properties being converted into 12 new social houses
- social housing (accessible), Royston and Goldthorpe, Barnsley – 22 new bungalows in socially deprived areas
- Royston Park Pavilion, Barnsley – restoring a much loved community pavilion
- Elscecar Heritage Building, Barnsley – an historic building restored to its former glory.
- Broadlea Street, Bramley, Leeds – a new, innovative and affordable housing development, including 24 family homes
- The Garnets, Beeston, Leeds - a new, innovative and affordable housing development including 25 new build council house family homes
- St George House, Leeds - the remodelling of council offices at St George House to facilitate ‘agile’ working, allowing staff to work smarter and more flexibly.
- The Junction, Leytonstone – internal remodelling and refurbishment of a combined adult learning facility and children’s centre.
The wide range of NPS projects shortlisted, underlines the breadth of schemes which are having a significant positive social and environmental impact on communities, from boosting the stock of quality local housing to restoring community facilities to their former glory.
Many of the projects on the shortlist have unlocked new opportunities for younger generations, either through apprenticeship training, skills development or offering services which help turn lives around.
RICS UK Managing Director, Matthew Howell, said: “This year’s shortlist features some of the finest talent in our profession, and the new Social Impact Awards recognises the significant value these projects have brought to the communities around them."
Each shortlisted project will be put to the vote by regional panels of RICS members - qualified professionals who work in the development sector.
The Yorkshire and Humber awards, featuring our Barnsley and Leeds offices, take place on 5 June, with the London regional awards taking place a week later. A final list of schemes will go through to the national Grand Final in September.