Significant quantities of asbestos containing materials have been widely used in construction throughout the UK from the late 19th century until 1999 when all use of asbestos was banned. It is estimated that around 75% of commercial buildings and over 2 million domestic premises in the UK contain some asbestos.
Asbestos containing materials in good, sealed condition do not present a risk if left undisturbed. However, where the materials are in poor condition or are disturbed and damaged, then fibres may be released into the air that have the potential, if breathed in, to cause fatal lung diseases. Asbestos is currently the greatest single cause of work-related deaths in the UK.
Duty holders must take appropriate steps to prevent or reduce the risk of asbestos exposure in accordance with the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
Our qualified and experienced asbestos professionals can provide independent, expert advice as to how to comply with the Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, the duty to manage asbestos in non-domestic premises. Our services include:
- Management surveys to identify and locate any asbestos containing materials and assess their condition in accordance with HSE guidance document HSG264 (Asbestos: The survey guide)
- Asbestos management plans incorporating strategies for managing the risk from asbestos
- Procurement services for the selection and appointment of specialist asbestos removal contractors
- Asbestos awareness training
In order to meet the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM), the presence of hazardous materials such as asbestos should be assessed before any refurbishment or demolition work commences. Our asbestos surveyors are trained and experienced within all building sectors (ie commercial, industrial, domestic) and this is supported by a sound quality management system to ensure the highest standards are achieved. All surveys are undertaken in accordance with recommended guidance HSG264 (Asbestos: The survey guide). We would be pleased to discuss your requirements for:
- Refurbishment and demolition asbestos surveys
- Project management for asbestos removal works