NPS has transformed an area of scrubland into a new community woodland and nature area.
The area connects open spaces at Wilberforce Wood and Foredyke Green, which are considered major ‘green’ assets and form part of the ‘Hull Green Arc’ linking urban greenspaces throughout the city.
The project included:
- a redesign of the pond area
- an outside classroom
- an amphitheatre and re-shaping of a surrounding mound
- grassland paths
- 13 tree sculptures
- a labyrinth copied from a medieval labyrinth in the old Marfleet Church (now gone)
- street furniture and interpretation boards
- new trees and planting to add visual and nature conservation interest
- all-weather perimeter paths.
NPS worked in liaison with the Residents Association and the Church of England, and the labyrinth was officially opened by the Archbishop of York in October 2017.