A refurbishment scheme to bring back a derelict, Grade II listed chapel dating back to 1868, into use as a community centre.
The North Chapel in Wombwell cemetery had remained in a dilapidated state for decades, but its fabric and roof were still intact. However, the South Chapel had been partly destroyed by a fire and it was feared the North chapel would soon follow in its footsteps.
The Friends of Wombwell Chapel charity enlisted the help of NPS and Barnsley MBC to look at ways to bring the building back to live and create a usable space for the Friends that could generate income and form a community space with kitchen facilities, WCs and storage. The project was jointly funded by Barnsley MBC, WREN, HLF and through funds raised by the local community.
Listed Building Consent was required and regular meetings were held with the conservation officer to find ways to retain historical significant features and renew and enhance the character of the once ecclesiastical building. The existing chapel doors were delicately restored, and the South Chapel lightning conductor and weather vane were reinstated on the North Chapel which required the renewal of the Spire due to frost damage.
The Friends of Wombwell Cemetery now possess a space which will allow the public to hold events and bring the community together while preventing the building from further decay and being subject to vandalism.