This project demonstrates how a historic building can be bought back into use as a contemporary office space - meeting current workplace and building regulations whilst still maintaining its key features.
Warehouse No.9 is one of only two surviving Grade II listed buildings which served Queen’s Dock in Hull until 1930, when the dock was filled in. The warehouse was subsequently divided into managed office space, but stood empty for two years.
Essential building repairs and replacements to windows, roof and brickwork were sensitively undertaken to ensure that the building’s original external appearance was retained.
Inside, an open-plan, flexible office space was created by removing old partitions which also opened up the space to natural daylight and ventilation. The scheme has revealed original timber beams and cast iron columns too.
Accessibility to the building has been improved with new internal doors, an eight-person lift and WCs on each floor. New energy-efficient mechanical and electrical systems have also been installed.
The transformation of Warehouse No.9 has provided our client with a flagship city centre office and customer service space, which maximises value for money and has the flexibility to respond to changing future needs.