NPS was recently commissioned to provide quantity surveying and CDMC services for the refurbishment of one of the most important industrial heritage sites in the UK.
The Newcomen Engine, built in 1795 and operational until the 1920s is the star exhibit at the Elsecar Heritage Centre, located within the restored South Yorkshire ironworks and colliery workshops of industrialist Earl Fitzwilliam. Elsecar’s steam powered Newcomen Engine is of world-class importance and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The project - jointly funded by English Heritage, Heritage Lottery Fund and Barnsley Council - comprised the £315,000 refurbishment of the Newcomen Engine House and associated structures, together with the restoration of the Engine to moving condition, a new cover to the mineshaft and external improvements.
As part of the commission, NPS also procured the service of a Conservation Architect and associated design team, and under a separate commission, the services of an engine specialist designer.